Pre-Apprenticeship – Construction Technology
Credential: Recognition of Achievement
Work Integrated Learning: 1 Field Placement
Length: 2 Semesters
Duration: 1 Year
In addition to receiving an Introduction to Basic General Carpentry, students receive exposure to the plumbing and electrical trades. Students will obtain a number of industry specific certifications to enhance job readiness. Career Development is a focus of this program with a work placement following the in-school training.
Students that successfully complete this program could find employment in residential, commercial or industrial construction as well as in the renovation field.
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- apply mathematic, communication and computer skills to construction related problems;
- apply safety procedures in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act Construction Regulations;
- apply job search skills to identify and secure a work placement;
- complete basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing tasks based on theory and practical skills.
- Sem 1: Summer 2020
- Sem 2: Fall 2020
Applicants must be 16 years of age of older, a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant and not already registered as an apprentice.
- applicants must attend a program information session
- applicants must demonstrate the ability to do, or be able to acquire, the necessary reading, writing and trade related math skills
- applicants must demonstrate a commitment to working in the construction industry
- applicants will be interviewed
Students will be required to complete an intake assessment which will be utilized to determine functional grade level competency prior to academic programming.
11 Program Courses
1 Work Placement
Students must successfully complete all required courses as noted below. Further details, if applicable, are noted under "Additional Information" above.
|HSCI 0126||Emerg First Aid/CPR||8|
|TECH 0364||Health and Safety||15|
|TECH 0382||Blueprint Reading for Construction||42|
|TECH 0534||Shop Skills||24|
|TECH 0551||Approved Working At Heights||8.5|
|COMU 0070 Construction Communication - Preparation||21|
|MATC 0008 Construction Math - Preparation||84|
|TECH 0589 Introduction to Electrical Trades||54|
|TECH 0593 Pre-Apprentice Career Development||21|
|TECH 0594 Introduction to Plumbing and Pipefitting||54|
|TECH 0595 Introduction to Basic Carpentry General||126|
|PAGC 0011||Pre-Apprenticeship General Carpentry Work Placement||240|
Information contained in College documents respecting programs is correct at the time of publication. Academic content of programs and courses is revised on an ongoing basis to ensure relevance to changing educational objectives and employment market needs. The college reserves the right to add or delete programs, options, courses, timetables or campus locations subject to sufficient enrolment, and the availability of courses.