3. Registration and fees

The registration process begins after the student has been accepted and confirmed into a program or course at Georgian College. This process involves payment of tuition (deposit) and other fees or reserving a seat in your program (for subsequent terms within the same academic year) and registration into courses. To receive a refund of any fees or to adjust outstanding fee assessments if only a deposit was paid, students must submit a withdrawal form by the specified deadlines as outlined on Georgian’s website under Important dates. Please note that students must register each semester. Students withdrawing after the 10-day deadline will be responsible for paying the full-term fees assessed.

3.1 Tuition and fees

All fees are subject to review and may be changed. Course add/drops may result in fee adjustments which may impact ancillary servicesSome course fees are subject to HST (included in the published fee). Income tax receipts will be available online on the student’s Banner account to eligible students at the end of February each year.

3.1.1 Fee categories 

Following Ministry guidelines, tuition and ancillary fees are established by program, for full-time and part-time students, as well as domestic and international students. Total fees include tuition fees and ancillary fees. (See section 3.2.1: Registration definitions for definitions for full-time and part-time status).  

Domestic fees are charged to Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents or Refugee/Protected PersonsInternational fees are charged to all other students. There are certain circumstances in which international students would be charged the same tuition rate as Canadian citizens including, but not limited to, being the spouse or dependent of a Canadian citizen/permanent resident/refugee, an international diplomatic agent or a visiting clergy member. For more information please see the Office of the Registrar.  

To be eligible for an international fee exemption as a Refugee or Protected Person, the student must present official proof of the approved status. Acceptable documentation, along with the study permit as required, as listed in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act includes one of the following:

  • a Notification of Status document, or
  • Verification of Status document, or
  • a Protected Person Status document issued under section 31(1), or a “Notice of Decision” issued by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or by the Immigration and Refugee Board.

Indigenous students who are non-residents of Canada have the same rights and obligations as Canadian citizens, pursuant to the Indian Act. Accordingly, non-resident Indigenous students will be charged the same tuition rate as Canadian citizens.  

Until such time that official proof can be given, residency status and fees will remain as international. When proof is provided, fees will be changed in the next subsequent term. 

If it is found that the residency status of a student is different than what they declared on their admission application, the fees will be changed in the next subsequent term. If it is found that false information was given on the admission application, students may be charged with academic misconduct for fabrication (see section 8: Academic integrity) and are subject to penalties under these regulations as well as the Student Code of Conduct. Information will also be reported to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

3.1.2 Fee payment deadlines

A tuition deposit payment is required once1 per academic year as follows:

June 15, 2020, for fall 2020 for all students (including students who started in the summer term)
Oct. 7, 2020, for winter 2021 for students not here in the fall
Feb. 16, 2021, for summer 2021 for students not here in the fall or winter

Term Semester Fees due
Fall 2020 Semester one Deposit required, balance due day 11
Winter 2021 Semester two Reserve your seat, full fees due day 11
Summer 2021 Co-op or break
Fall 2021 Semester three Deposit required, balance due day 11
Winter 2021 Semester one Deposit required, balance due day 11
Summer 2021 Semester two Reserve your seat, full fees due day 11
Fall 2021 Semester three Deposit required, balance due day 11

The balance of tuition and other compulsory fees for new students as well as returning students are due on the 11th day of the term as follows:

Sept. 28, 2020, for fall 2020
Jan. 25, 2021, for winter 2021
May 25, 2021, for summer 2021 (note: May 24 is a holiday)

Students who fail to pay full fees by the required due dates will be charged a late fee ($150 for domestic students and $500 for international students) and may risk forfeiting their place at the college, may be withdrawn from all courses, and/or denied registration to future terms. Students not paying their outstanding fees will be considered to be in default. (See section 3.1.4: Students in default).

Students who fail to pay full fees will not be permitted to register for courses in the following term. 

3.1.3 Tuition deposits

A non-refundable tuition deposit of $250 for domestic students and $2,500 for international students is required once per academic year, per program. Please note the non-refundable amount for international students is calculated using a Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) mandated equation (see section Refunds - International students). The deposit is considered the preliminary payment and reduces the amount of tuition owing. It is required to be paid in order to access registration. If an applicant fails to meet admission requirements and the offer has been revoked, the tuition deposit is non-refundable.

The preferred method of payment is online bill payment through the bank. Students may also pay by certified cheque, money order or debit card. Credit cards may be used for the initial tuition deposit only. Personal/company cheques are not accepted.

Students changing programs are required to pay the non-refundable tuition deposit for their new program. For example, a student takes semester one of Business in fall 2020 and then changes to semester one of General Arts and Sciences in winter 2021. A new non-refundable deposit would be required in winter 2021.

3.1.4 Students in default

Students who have outstanding fees, fines, or emergency loans, or who have failed to return books or equipment owned by Georgian College will be sent a letter from Georgian College’s accounting department requesting payment within 10 days. If payment is not received and no response is forthcoming to subsequent reminder letters, the student account will be referred to an agency for collection. Interest on any unpaid account will be charged at a rate of two per cent per month, compounded monthly (26.8 per cent per annum). In addition, students will not be issued official transcripts and will be refused registration in subsequent terms. Further, a graduation credential will not be issued until the situation is resolved to the satisfaction of the Office of the Registrar.

3.1.5 Fee disputes

Notification of a dispute of charges or payments on a student account is to be filed in writing to the Office of the Registrar within ninety (90) days of the end of the term in which the dispute occurs. The dispute shall be researched and, if deemed valid, shall be immediately rectified. If there is insufficient evidence to make a determination, the individual must submit written evidence to support the dispute. If the dispute is deemed to be without merit the student will be responsible for paying the fees as assessed.

3.1.6 Tuition and fees for students with accessibility needs

Any student with a permanent disability who requires a reduced course load as a learning accommodation may be eligible for a reduction in tuition fees. If additional semesters are required to complete a program, tuition will be reduced to $20 per course, provided the student has paid the equivalent in tuition fees assessed for the entire duration of the program. Full ancillary fees are still applicable. This reduction is applied at the end of the student's final term. For more information, please contact your Accessibility Advisor. 

International students are not eligible for the tuition reductions as they are not funded by the Ontario government. International students can access available student services in order to support their success.

3.2 Course registration

Students may use a variety of methods to register: online via the student information system (Banner); through change forms signed by academic areas and approved by the Office of the Registrar; or directly through the Office of the Registrar. Students may also view their timetables online via the student information system (Banner).

Students may not attend classes unless registration is complete on Banner. Students are responsible for initiating any changes to their timetables; this includes course adds, course drops and course withdrawals. Seat availability cannot be guaranteed once the course add/drop period opens for students.

3.2.1 Registration definitions


Students are considered full-time in any semester when they are enrolled in at least 70 per cent of that semester’s course hours (which is usually 13 hours of a total of 18 hours per week) or 66.6 per cent of that semester’s program course load (which is typically four of a total of six courses). Exempt, audit and withdrawn courses are not considered in the determination of course load for full-time status but may result in full-time fees being assessed. Please check the “recommended courses by term” available on Banner to ensure you are not missing any required courses. Students with a documented disability can be enrolled in a reduced course load (part-time), but still be considered full-time for OSAP funding. Please consult with Financial Aid and Accessibility Services.

Any missed course in any semester may drop a student’s status to part-time. This may have OSAP, course accessibility, immigration and award implications. Courses picked up in subsequent terms may also have fee implications. Students are advised to contact the Office of the Registrar or Financial Aid for more information.

Part-time (credit)

Part-time students are permitted to register in credit courses provided space is available and the student meets program and course requirements. Typically, international students are not permitted to be registered part-time due to IRCC regulations. Contact the Segal International Centre for more information.


Students may register in courses that have certain requisites attached to them. The following are types of requisites which may be necessary for students registering for courses.


Prerequisites are courses that must be successfully completed in a prior term in order for students to register in the subsequent course; these are used when the learning in one course facilitates the learning in the other. If students fail, withdraw or do not complete prerequisite courses, it is their responsibility to complete any outstanding course(s) in a future term. It is strongly recommended that students in this situation work with their program co-ordinator to determine their best path forward. Extra fees may apply.


Co-requisites are courses which must be taken simultaneously with another course. If the course having a co-requisite is failed,  but the corresponding co-requisite course is passed, BOTH courses must be repeated. If the course with the co-requisite is passed, and the corresponding co-requisite is failed, only the co-requisite needs to be repeated. It is strongly recommended that students in this situation work with their program co-ordinator to determine their best path forward. Extra fees may apply.

Concurrent requisites

Concurrent requisites are courses that must be taken prior to or at the same time as another course. If a student fails a course or its concurrent requisite courses, only the failed course needs to be repeated.

Antirequisites (equivalent courses)

Equivalent courses are courses that have been deemed to be equivalent due to similar content and learning outcomes. As such, only one course may be used to meet graduation requirements.

3.2.2 General education

General education courses (GNED) help students develop important academic skills such as research, writing and analytical skills which are invaluable in college studies. Minimum program requirements at Georgian College adhere to the Ministry’s Binding Policy Framework for Programs of Instruction and include the following:

  • Diploma programs: three to five general education courses
  • College Certificate programs: one general education course

General education course offerings vary from term to term. Students are able to select courses from a broad range of subject areas: social sciences, humanities, arts and literature, science, and technology. While the GNED course code prefix is used to identify most general education courses, there are other courses that are considered general education courses as well, for example: PSYL1001, PSYL1002, SOCL1001 and SOCL1002. For a comprehensive list of general education course offerings, please refer to the Liberal Arts website

Certain general education courses, due to overlap with components of the core program of study, cannot be taken for general education credit by students in some programs.

3.2.3 Placement requirements

Some college programs have a clinical/field or work placement component within their curriculum. Students in such programs may be required by host agencies or employers to provide assurances with regard to the categories below. 

Criminal record check and vulnerable sector check

Students may need to provide a current criminal record check and vulnerable sector check from a police service before they may start their clinical/field or work placement. Individuals who have been charged or convicted criminally and not pardoned may be prohibited from proceeding to a clinical/field or work placement. Students in Health, Wellness, and Science programs who have been charged or convicted criminally and not pardoned will be prohibited from proceeding to a clinical/field or work placement.  Students should check their program outline for more information. For those programs affected, some jurisdictions require a long lead-time for processing. Please check with the program co-ordinator to ensure sufficient turnaround time. These checks are required prior to the placement start.

Accordingly, if students register in a program with a clinical/field or work placement component, it is their responsibility to ensure that they are eligible to participate. Further, the college assumes no responsibility for these matters and students should be aware that tuition and related fees are not refunded in the event that access to a clinical/field or work placement course is denied.

Students should also be aware that some professions and licencing boards also have a criminal record check provision to ensure suitability to practice in the profession. Accordingly, it is recommended that students who have criminal records contact the appropriate professional association or licencing agency prior to starting their college studies. The costs associated with the provision of the criminal record check are to be borne by the student.

Immunization and placements

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit provides policies and procedures based on best practices and research, and has produced several documents outlining the rationale and need for immunization. One such document indicates “Health care workers (HCWs) who elect not to immunize to prevent disease can not only suffer morbidity and mortality as a result of infection, but serve as vectors for transmitting disease to patients, other staff and residents.” (1) In addition, in order to obtain clinical experiences, the College enters into contractual agreements with its agencies. Many of these agencies require immunization of students prior to granting them the experiential learning within their agency. In order to comply with those contractual agreements, applicants must have up-to-date immunization records in compliance with the Public Hospitals Act. Completion and submission of this immunization record is required during registration in order to ensure placement in clinical and field placement facilities. Students who do not provide this proof of registration requirement will be unable to complete clinical/field or work placements and, as a result, will not meet graduation requirements. Please check the program outline for further information on clinical/field or work placements and immunization requirements.

(1) FACT: Immunization Recommendations for Health Care Workers in Non-Acute Care Settings, 2012. Co-op Work terms and Work Permit requirements

Work Permits and Co-op Work terms

Before a co-op work term can begin, Students must seek approval from the Co-op and Career Success team for all co-op work terms. International students in programs with co-op work term(s), must have a valid Canadian Work Permit (CWP) before engaging in work in Canada. Some exceptions apply:

  • Students may request approval from the Co-op and Career Success team to work for non-Canadian employers in a country other than Canada. If approved, students working outside of Canada for non-Canadian employers will not require a CWP in order for their co-op to be used for credit.
  • International students who cannot find work due to extenuating circumstances may be eligible to earn their co-op credit via alternative learning experiences not involving employment (see section 3.4.7). When co-op credits are being completed by using these alternative learning experiences, and provided that there is no paid or unpaid employer-employee relationship between the student and a Canadian employer as part of the alternative experience, students will not require a CWP.

3.2.4 Transferring from part-time to full-time studies

Students taking courses part-time who have not been admitted to a program who wish to transfer to full-time studies must apply through the ontariocolleges.ca (OCAS) application and admissions process.

3.2.5 Full-time students in course overload

Students may wish to take extra credit courses in addition to a full-time course load for a semester. The implications of this overload should be discussed with the program co-ordinator, before proceeding with registrationCourse loads are suggested by the college to support academic success. It is not advisable that students who have been on academic warning or suspension in the last six months, pursue a course overload. Students will be required to pay additional fees for these overload courses.

3.2.6 Credit and audit status

Credit status applies when a student is registered in a credit course for the purpose of receiving credit. Audit status applies when a student is registered in a credit course but will not be receiving a credit. This status must be specified at the time of registration and is a privilege, not a right. All prerequisite requirements, including admission requirements, are applicable to audited courses. Permission to register for audit status must be obtained from the appropriate program co-ordinator and faculty. Fees for audited courses and credit courses are the same but the student is not entitled to examination or any other evaluation privileges, nor will the student receive a grade or credit for the audited course. Approval for audit status will be determined after full-time and part-time registration is complete and is subject to space availability. Priority is given to students seeking credit status.

3.2.7 Changes in program, course, section or co-op

Changes are essentially a combination of a registration and a withdrawal. The formal processes must be followed for the changes to be official. Full-time students may make course changes directly online – course adds, course drops or withdrawals. Students must ensure that all changes are made within the deadlines. There are fee implications if students drop or withdraw from courses after the deadlines, or register in more than the recommended number of courses.

Students can drop or withdraw online from all but one course. If students wish to drop or withdraw from all of their courses, they must request a program withdrawal. Dropping courses may affect OSAP eligibility or immigration status. Please visit our website to obtain a program withdrawal form.

If changing programs, students require approval from their current program co-ordinator and the co-ordinator of the new program. If the program is beyond semester one, students may be required to complete an internal application form and pay the applicable fee. If the student would be entering semester one of the new program, they must apply to  OCAS. If students are changing their progression in a program (for example, opting not to go out on their work term but wish to attend an academic semester), they must seek approval through their program co-ordinator and their co-op consultant.

Students who deviate from the established flow of a program may become out-of-sequence, or out of progression, which can affect future course selections and graduation timelines. Students should meet with the program co-ordinator, prior to making any changes to their program (i.e. withdrawing from a course. See section 3.5: Program and course withdrawal).

3.2.8 Registration into co-op

It is the student’s responsibility to register into their co-op work term on the student information system (Banner) within the deadlines. Students who do not register are subject to late fees, as well as formal registration and grade allocation will be deferred to a future term. This may impact future registration into work terms, OSAP funding, immigration status and affect graduation eligibility.

3.2.9 Communications placement assessment (CPA)

The Communications Placement Assessment (CPA) is an assessment process developed to aid students in selecting appropriate communications courses. It is composed of questions that assess students’ knowledge of reading and writing. Students who achieve a score of 260 or greater in both sections of the CPA do not receive a communications credit; however, they have the option to bypass Communications Essentials (COMM 1016) and enroll directly in an industry-specific communications course.

All students in diploma and certificate programs pay a fee for the assessment, which is included in the full-time tuition fees. The assessment may be written in Testing Services on any Georgian College campus. Special arrangements may be made for students from outside the Province.

3.4 Alternatives to typical course completion

The college offers alternatives to accommodate extenuating circumstances that may prevent normal completion of courses before the term ends or when a student has failed a course and is not able to retake it. The following are some alternatives:

3.4.1 Independent study courses

Under certain conditions, students may be granted permission to complete credit courses through independent study. Approval will be based on the availability of resources, the suitability of the course to be delivered through independent study and the appropriateness to the student’s course load and academic record.

Students who are in good academic standing may request an independent study course if they cannot take the course in a subsequent semester, or at another institution, and either of the following conditions are met:

  • The student is enrolled in a semester in which the specific course is not offered, or
  • The student has a timetable conflict with other courses.

Restrictions to independent study courses are as follows:

Only students who are in good academic standing are eligible to take courses through independent study. Independent study cannot be used to complete portions of course work that the student has failed or not completed. All work included in the entire course must be repeated.

Not all courses are suitable for delivery through independent study, particularly those with laboratory, practicum or clinical/field or work components.

  • Limit of one independent study course for one-year certificate or graduate certificate programs
  • Limit of two independent study courses in two-year diploma programs
  • Limit of three independent study courses in three-year diploma programs
  • Limit of four independent study courses in four-year degree programs
  • Limit of one independent study course can be taken within an academic semester.

Once approval for independent study has been granted, details of the course contract will be outlined by the faculty and program co-ordinator and reviewed with the student. This contract will include the following:

  • Readings, learning resources and materials
  • Schedule of meetings with the faculty
  • Evaluations, projects, reports, tests and examinations with specific reference to dates and frequency
  • The evaluation of the independent study aligns with the course outline
  • The completion date of the required course, which must be within the same term the course commenced
  • The minimum passing grade.

3.4.2 Independent study process

The student must obtain a Request for Independent Study form from the college website and submit it to their program co-ordinator. The program co-ordinator must obtain approval from the dean of the appropriate academic area and submit the form, signed by all parties, to the Office of the Registrar. The student must register for the course with the Office of the Registrar and pay all applicable tuition and service fees related to the independent study courses.

3.4.3 Fees

A full-time student taking an independent study course as part of their normal load is required to pay a service fee. A part-time student or a student taking an independent study course as an overload course is required to pay the regular tuition, applicable ancillary fees, as well as the independent study service fee.

3.4.4 Incomplete grade designation

If the student does not, or cannot, complete all course requirements due to extenuating circumstances, they may request an “incomplete” grade designation (IN) from the faculty and negotiate a contract to complete the course requirements by a specified date. This is a privilege, not a right. The following conditions apply to an incomplete grade:

  • The student must have a passing average in the course at the time of the request
  • Permission to use college resources (including the faculty’s services) must be obtained from the appropriate dean
  • In all cases, the faculty has the option to negotiate a contract with the student
  • The contract must be completed within 30 calendar days of the end of the term. The incomplete grade designation and the end date of the contract must be entered into Banner by the facutly. If the contract requirements are not completed by the student as agreed upon, a grade appropriate to the student’s performance to date in the course, will appear on their transcript
  • The maximum duration for completing the contract is four months
  • If the student needs more time, they must repeat the entire course
  • If the contract requirements are completed within the agreed time period, the student’s grade will be processed
  • The faculty, through the appropriate program co-ordinator, will inform the Office of the Registrar if the contract requirements have been completed and will then assign a final grade within three days of the contract completion date
  • An “incomplete” will not be granted in situations in which the student has submitted all course requirements but failed the course.

3.4.5 Co-op incomplete

An “incomplete” status for a co-op work term may be designated by the co-op consultant when requirements of a co-op experience credit have not been met due to extenuating circumstances. (See section 3.4.4: Incomplete grade designation, for conditions).

3.4.6 Letters of permission

A letter of permission (LOP) is issued by Georgian College granting a student permission to take a specific (equivalent) course at another recognized and accredited post-secondary institution. It guarantees recognition of that credit in the student’s program of study upon successful completion of the course. This process can be followed only if the course that is intended for credit has not yet started. Students may have to adjust their plans if permission is not granted. If the approved credit course is completed successfully, students must subsequently provide an official transcript to the Office of the Registrar. Normally, credit will be granted only for courses taken at accredited and recognized institutions with a grade of 60 percent (C) or better; some program exceptions apply (see Program Outline). The designation “EX” will appear at the top of the student’s transcript, no grade is given and it is not included in the GPA calculation. Letter of permission process

If a student wishes to take and use an equivalent post-secondary course at another post-secondary institution, the following steps must be followed:

  • The student must provide a course outline of the proposed post-secondary credit course to their program co-ordinator or, in the case of college-wide courses, to the communications or general education co-ordinator
  • In consultation with faculty, the program co-ordinator will complete a LOP request form. The student will submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. This must occur prior to the start of the course
  • If approved, the student will receive an official LOP from the Office of the Registrar
  • The student must provide the Office of the Registrar with an official transcript by the deadline specified on the LOP. Georgian to Georgian transfer credits

Credit courses completed at Georgian in one program that are eligible to be used for credit toward another program, will automatically apply to the new credential and will be included in the student's MyPath worksheet. Not all courses are transferable to all programs. For example, general education courses taken as part of any program can be transferred to any other program that requires general education courses. They are not however always transferable to degree programs.

Students must ensure graduation residency requirements are met, (see section 5.1: Graduation residency requirements).

3.4.7 Co-op Project Report

In periods of extreme labour market disruption (i.e., a global pandemic or other crisis outside of the college’s control), students may be eligible to receive their co-op credit via an alternative Co-op Project Report. This alternative offers students the opportunity to participate in an industry-connected experience in lieu of participation in a traditional co-op. Students in regulated programs are not eligible for this alternative.

To be eligible for this alternative, students must be in good academic standing, meet registration deadlines, and provide proof of their active, unsuccessful job search. For non-degree programs, the report will be set up and graded by the Co-op and Career Success team using “S” Satisfactory or “U” Unsatisfactory (see section 4.1: Grading system). Degree program co-op project reports will be set and graded by the academic area in consultation with the Co-op and Career Success team.

3.5 Program and course withdrawal

A student’s official record (transcript) and eligibility for OSAP funds and awards may be affected by withdrawal from a program or course. If a student does not withdraw from a program or course before the deadline for withdrawal the student’s records will show the achieved grades to date for all the courses in which the student is registered. Forms or requests submitted after the stated deadline will be accepted and processed as a submission for the subsequent term.

Students who have withdrawn from a program or course should contact Financial Aid for clarification of their OSAP or other financial aid status. Students are also advised that no refund will be issued unless the completed withdrawal form is received by the initial withdrawal deadline (the 10th working day of the term for most programs). After the initial withdrawal deadline students will be responsible for paying any outstanding balances on their account. 

Program and course withdrawal information also applies to part-time students. For withdrawal deadlines for non-credit general interest courses refer to the part-time studies policies and procedures.

3.5.1 Program withdrawal process

If a student wishes to withdraw from a program, they must complete a program withdrawal form. They should discuss their decision and possible options with the program co-ordinator and a student success employee. The student, their program co-ordinator and a student success staff member (may be a student success advisor or counsellor) will sign the form after these consultations. International students should discuss their decision and possible options with the program co-ordinator, Segal International Centre and immigration counsellor, and have all sign the form. All students must submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar by the published deadlines.

If the student is unable to attend in-person, they may mail, fax or scan and email a copy of the signed program withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar indicating their intention to withdraw from a program. International students should attach a letter of acceptance or verification of enrolment if attending another institution. Scanned letters with a signature are accepted.

The official date of withdrawal is the date the student’s form is received by the Office of the Registrar. Withdrawals are not official if made by telephone or other means not specified above. Student are not officially withdrawn if they cease to attend classes or verbally notify their faculty, registration staff, student success advisors, counsellors or any other college staff. Without official withdrawal, even if the student ceases to attend classes or participate in college activities, the student will remain enrolled. The student will be required to pay fees for that semester and grades will be recorded as appropriate to the work they have submitted. Withdrawal after the 10th working day of the term or stated deadline will result in full semester fees being charged. Refer to Important Dates.

Program withdrawals cannot be done online. Students can drop or withdraw from all but one of their courses online. If students wish to drop or withdraw from all of their courses, a program withdrawal is required and must be done in writing as per the process above.

3.5.2 Program fee refunds/adjustments

To receive a refund of fees (or to adjust outstanding fee assessments if less than the full amount was paid), the student must submit a withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar by the initial withdrawal deadline (the 10th working day of the term for most programs). After this deadline, a refund and/or adjustment for that term will not be provided and the student will be responsible for paying the full semester fees. Fees paid for in subsequent (future) terms will be refunded. This applies to all students including those paying fees through their OSAP funding, or any other sponsorship (WSIB, band council, company, etc.).  If there are extenuating circumstances after the refund deadline see section 3.5.3: Withdrawals after the deadline due to extenuating circumstances. Refunds – domestic students

When calculating the adjustment or refund, the college will withhold $250 for program withdrawals as well as any non-refundable fee items. Any outstanding balances owing on a student account will be deducted from the refund. Refunds – International students

Georgian notifies IRCC of all withdrawals. International students are entitled to a partial refund of fees paid if the completed withdrawal is received by the initial withdrawal deadline (the 10th working day of the term for most programs).  After the initial withdrawal deadline no refunds for the term will be issued and students will be responsible for paying any outstanding balances on their account. Fees paid for subsequent (future) terms will be refunded. For study permit refusals a full refund will be issued, if proof of study permit refusal is submitted before the withdrawal deadline. Any outstanding balances owing on a student account will be deducted from the refund. In addition, non-refundable fee items may be deducted.

All refunds are calculated using the following equation, as set out by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU): 

Fees paid – (international tuition fee ÷ domestic tuition fee) x $500 for example:
$7,287.11 – ($5,500 ÷ $1,342.88) x $500 = $5,239.27

Fee paid (deposit, tuition or ancillary)  $7,287.11
Tuition fees only (international)  $5,500
Tuition fees only (domestic)  $1,342.88
Hold back fee  $2,047.84
Eligible student refund = $5,239.27 Non-refundable fees

Non-refundable fees include tuition deposit, assessment of previous learning (PLAR) testing fees, convocation, alumni, Upass and insurance fees. There may be additional non-refundable fees depending on the date of withdrawal. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@georgiancollege.ca.

3.5.3 Withdrawals after the deadline due to extenuating circumstances

Fee adjustments for withdrawals submitted after the withdrawal deadline may be considered due to unforeseen and extenuating circumstances involving the student and/or their immediate family member, up to four weeks after the refund deadline.  These special consideration circumstances include death of an immediate family member (parent, spouse or child) serious medical trauma to the student, or an immediate family member where the student is deemed the primary caregiver by their regulated health professional.

Georgian College’s medical verification form must be completed in full by a regulated health professional. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information at registrar@georgiancollege.ca.

3.5.4 Course withdrawal process

Students are advised to discuss course withdrawals and possible options with a program co-ordinator and/or the faculty. Full-time post-secondary students may withdraw from courses online. Students who have received OSAP or other government student aid funding are advised to speak to a representative in Financial Aid prior to making course changes.

Students can drop or withdraw from all but one of their courses online. If students wish to drop or withdraw from all of their courses, a program withdrawal is required. The official date of online withdrawal is the actual date of online submission of the withdrawal. Part-time and non-post-secondary students must complete a part-time withdrawal form. Completed forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar within the appropriate deadlines.

If a student wishes to withdraw from a course but is unable either to attend in-person or to access the internet, they must submit a personally signed letter indicating their intention to withdraw from the course. The letter can be mailed, faxed or scanned and emailed to the Office of the Registrar and must include the student number and all information needed to identify the student and the course. The official date of withdrawal in this case is the date the student’s letter is received by the Office of the Registrar. Students may view all course changes online. 

International students must remain in full-time studies to meet conditions of their study permit. Withdrawing from a course may affect full-time status at the college. Please contact the Segal International Centre for more details at international@georgiancollege.ca.

3.5.5 Fee refunds (part-time or overload courses)

Course withdrawals do not always result in a refund of fees. For students withdrawing from courses but still maintaining full-time status, fees will not be adjusted. To qualify for a refund of part-time or overload course fees, the student must either withdraw online or submit a withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar, within the posted refund deadlines. See the Important Dates section on the website for withdrawal deadlines. Refer to the Part-time Studies website for part-time refund information. 

3.5.6 Changes to co-op work term

To withdraw from a co-op work term, the student must obtain a part-time withdrawal form. The student must discuss their request with the co-op consultant and obtain approval. The student must then submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar within the first four weeks of the semester or scheduled co-op work term.

If the student does not intend to complete a scheduled co-op work term and follows the process above, their transcript will show a “withdrawn” (WD) for this co-op work term. However, if the student does not follow the process outlined above, they will receive an “unsatisfactory” (U) on their transcript and will be required to register for the co-op work term again. If the student is unable to find a suitable co-op position despite performing an active job search, their co-op consultant can grant a grade of "suitable co-op placement not found" (NP). The student’s OSAP or immigration status may also be affected. Students who are considering a change in academic status should speak to a representative in Financial Aid . To add a co-op work term, students must use the online registration process

Back to Top

use +/- to expand menu options